RailsWA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vale Len Purcell

5 posters

Go down

Vale Len Purcell  Empty Re: Vale Len Purcell

Post  djukin Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:33 pm

I agree with Jim, Len was the one to go to about the timber railways of W.A.

Many times we would be out and about photographing trains and Len and Mary would also be out especially photographing the many Hotham Valley trains that ran on the then Westrail network.

My condolences also to his family.

Phil Melling
djukin
djukin

Back to top Go down

Post  NR29 Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:30 pm

He sounds like a top bloke, i wish met him before he past away. Pass on the Best Wishes for his family Jim
NR29
NR29

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nr29pacnat

Back to top Go down

Post  Q4004 Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:34 pm

Jim, please give my best wishes in to his family
Q4004
Q4004

Back to top Go down

Post  wn514 Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:29 am

i do not know the fella. but going by your comments a fine person he was. rest in peace mate.
wal.
wn514
wn514

http://flickr.com/photos/wn514/

Back to top Go down

Vale Len Purcell  Empty Vale Len Purcell

Post  Admin Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:03 pm

One of the giants of the railway enthusiast movement in WA Leonard John Purcell has passed away aged 87 on July 1st.

I first met Len nearly 40 years ago then when I was Operations Manager of the Hotham Valley Railway in the early 1980s it was Len, his wife Mary and my late mother who assisted me in running the telephone bookings for the train operations.
For many years Len was the editor of the Pinjarra Steam Express Hotham Valleys monthly newsletter and Len prided himself on its production and Len with Mary who also handled its distrubition.
Where Len will be greatly missed is his knowledge of the bash timber railways where he recored the operations and their demise in the 1950s and 1960s. Len was employed in the timber industry by Millars Timber and Trading in their large complex at Yarloop and later at their head office in Kewdale.
Len's first love was steam locomotives as were those of his age, yet Len didnt throw his camera away when steam ended but continued taking photos late into his life.
Len was probably not known to many of the younger railfans in this state but he was always willing to share his love of the hobby his photos and knolledge with others.
I feel privileged to have known Len a great family man, a great railfan and a freind I will miss you Len.
My condolences go to his family at this sad time.
Jim Bisdee.

Admin
Admin

https://railswa.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum