RailsWA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Motive Power magazine

+5
bagus70
Toad Montgomery
Admin
Jarroo
9 posters

Go down

Motive Power magazine Empty Re: Motive Power magazine

Post  Jarroo Fri May 07, 2010 7:59 am

Jarroo

Back to top Go down

Post  8888 Thu May 06, 2010 10:38 pm

Kafoopsy wrote:I picked up a copy of the latest Motive Power today in Midland

Good to see some of our younger photographers such as yourself, Justin, and also David Melling, Brendan Cherry and Evan Jasper getting work published in a national journal.

http://railimagesaus.fotopic.net/

Back to top Go down

Post  Kafoopsy Thu May 06, 2010 1:29 am

I picked up a copy of the latest Motive Power today in Midland
Kafoopsy
Kafoopsy

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed May 05, 2010 6:21 pm

Latest issue #68 March April was distrubited by Gordon and Gotch today in local WA newsagents now is special pictorial edition bit smaller than previous ones usual price $9.50

Admin
Admin

https://railswa.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  SM65 Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:28 pm

The new magazine, ARI will only be available at selected Model/Hobby shops or via Subscription.

Hope this helps Wal.

The address; Australian Railways Illustrated
PO Box 886
Kings Langly
NSW 2147
You can also call Mob - 0413 183 080 for subscriptions.
Or via the email address that ADMIN put on here a couple of days ago; - arimagazine@gmail.com

Cheers
Steve
SM65
SM65

Back to top Go down

Post  wn514 Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:44 pm

does anyone know if the latest issue of motive power magazine has made its way west yet? i have been checking out the local newsagents to no avail. also no sign of the new mag. australian railways illustrated.
wal.
wn514
wn514

http://flickr.com/photos/wn514/

Back to top Go down

Post  wn514 Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:30 pm

Admin wrote:
wn514 wrote:does anyone know if there is there a website for this a r i magazine?
wn514 they do not have a web site but can be contacted at: arimagazine@gmail.com

those running this are good operators they have been involved in magazine production elsewhere
thanks mate.
wn514
wn514

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:51 pm

wn514 wrote:does anyone know if there is there a website for this a r i magazine?
wn514 they do not have a web site but can be contacted at: arimagazine@gmail.com

those running this are good operators they have been involved in magazine production elsewhere

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  wn514 Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm

does anyone know if there is there a website for this a r i magazine?
wn514
wn514

Back to top Go down

Post  SM65 Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:01 pm

Hey Jaroo,
Yes, received my copy of A R I the other day.
Very nice publication.
Well written articles along with some very good photos.

To all involved, Well done.

Cheers
Steve
SM65
SM65

Back to top Go down

Post  P2017 Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:54 am

Hi Jaroo,

The Magazine is brilliant, for the first one its 60+ pages long and has some interesting articles.
It covers all states with runnings and pictures , but id say its worth getting.

Cheers
P2017

Jarroo wrote:Has anyone seen a copy of the new ARI magazine?
Is it worth buying?
Pity its not electronic, like Motive Power.
P2017
P2017

http://www.flickr.com/photos/p2017

Back to top Go down

Post  Jarroo Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:08 pm

Has anyone seen a copy of the new ARI magazine?
Is it worth buying?
Pity its not electronic, like Motive Power.

Jarroo

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:47 am

The latest issue has been printed and is being released is in a few outlets in Sydney I suppose it will be in newsagents as previously.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  bagus70 Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:17 pm

Railfans in Australia are very lucky to have a good social life, able to get frequent coverage from media, and having a good mass media (magazine, moves, etc).

We in Indonesia are craving to have something like what the Aussies have.

There's one railway magazine in Indonesia that is known for its deteriorating quality, yet if you criticize them, its reporters will get furious and try to sue you. While on the other hand, they often plagiarize railfans work without giving proper recognition for their work.

Which is why I can't wait to collect more money so I could subscribe the likes of Motive Power magazine (as well as its counterpart, Railway Digest). Although the contents are Australian, but they're still relevant with what is happening in here (Indonesia).

Back to topic...
bagus70
bagus70

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:32 pm

Jarroo wrote:I see the March/April issue of MP is out in PDF format - hard copy not out for another several weeks...
With a new mag about to appear in the newsagent racks, will the raifan base in Australia be able to support all three?
I very much doubt there is the market for three national magzines in Australia remember the so called national magazines gone in days before the internet Rail Australia, Pacific Rail, Network [Track and Signal its replacement is more a trade magazine].
An illistrated magazine Trains Illistrated in US only ran one issue IIRC in a country of 300m and a world market and that was issued 21 years ago again in different times.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jarroo Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:43 pm

I see the March/April issue of MP is out in PDF format - hard copy not out for another several weeks...
With a new mag about to appear in the newsagent racks, will the raifan base in Australia be able to support all three?

Jarroo

Back to top Go down

Post  bagus70 Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:15 pm

I love this magazine very much. It gave me an insight of whatever happenings in Australian locomotive worlds. I'm considering to subscribe the magazine again, but I wonder how much does it cost to have it delivered to here? (Indonesia).
bagus70
bagus70

Back to top Go down

Post  Jarroo Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:08 pm

I think Motive Power was an excellent publication, perhaps lacking variety in some issues, but it was only as good as the editorial team, with a bust up apparant, who knows what will become of it, but a fresh new magazine albeit with a British flavoured title, is certainly welcome.
To see what variety can be achieved in a weekly online magazine, Railway Herald is a British online magazine, which occassionally has some Australian content. I have been reading this for a couple of years, and although I have always followed the UK scene, it never ceases to amaze me the amount of variety.
We now have a great established W.A. weekly electronic magazine, and as mentioned the new RHWA quarterly Westland journal is first class and hopefully the author will continue for many years to come.

Jarroo

Back to top Go down

Post  8888 Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:45 pm

In this day of digital technology, news from around the world can be accessed merely by turning on a television or computer. By the time it appears in a printed newspaper or magazine, it is already old. The role of the printed publication therefore becomes an archival one, rather than an informational one, when it comes to news reporting.

With newsgroups, mobile phones and email, rail happenings from anywhere also become known pretty quickly. Recording information is still important, but more so for the historians of the future rather than the observers in the present. We can't depend on newsgroup postings alone for research, they may not be there in the future - try researching news on Railpage at the moment! Rail magazines will, outside their archival purpose, take on the role of providing feature and historical articles, backed up by outstanding photographic content. Railway Digest is already taking different directions in its content. The local printed publication, The Westland, also is achieving a balance in its coverage. Our administrator provides a bank of news items from the past 3 months, which I consider is vital to be recorded in print. The rest of the magazine is devoted to recording happenings of various groups, and feature articles of a contemporary and historical nature.

To remain relevant in a competetive world, magazines must have quality, which means tapping into the abilities of the best writers and best photographers. A quick count through the last 3 Westlands revealed the work published of 27 different photographers, not counting those marked as being from the Archives collection. The quality is certainly there as well.

What also doesn't help independently produced magazines these days are things such as GST / tax regime, newsagency distribution monopolies etc, but that is a different story.

http://railimagesaus.fotopic.net/

Back to top Go down

Post  Toad Montgomery Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:16 pm

The magazine is "Australian Railways Illustrated", and is expected to be a bi-monthly, with the first issue due in April.
Toad Montgomery
Toad Montgomery

http://www.pilbararailways.com.au/

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:52 pm

Being one who has dabbled in printed magazine production on and off, alone and with others since the early 1970s its a hard road a hell of a lot of work for little return.
I would never go back to printed magazine production now, free daily or weekly e-Mags is the only way to go.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Motive Power magazine Empty Motive Power magazine

Post  Jarroo Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:25 pm

Rumour is all the editorial team have walked out and are looking to start a new magazine.

Posted on the MP website:
"We wish to advise that due to a number of personal reasons we have had to put the March issue back indefinitely.
We apologize for this and we are working behind the scenes to restore the magazine.
We are trying very hard on this, so please be patient.
In the meantime the PDF is now available. All subscribers have been sent an email with information on how to access the PDF.
Other readers may purchase the PDF by visiting this page"

Jarroo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum